Staff & Samaritans

Resident Priest

Father Gregory Archambaux

Father Damien de Veuster

Father Andre Burgerman

Father Albert Montiton

Father Wendelin Moeller

Father Louis Conrardy

Father Pamphile de Veuster

Father Thomas Geloen

Father Paul Juliotte

Father Maxime Andre

Father Emeran Schulte

Father Philip Blom

Father De Vries

Father Athanasius

Father Martin J. Dornbush

Father Peter d’ Orgeval-Dubouchet

Father Joseph Hendriks


















Mother Superior

Mother Marianne

Sister M. Benedicta

Mother Flaviana

Sister M. Jolenta

Sister Mary Joseph






Sisters of
The Third Order
of St. Francis

Sister M. Leopoldina Burns

Sister M. Vincent

Sister M. Crescentia

Sister M. Irene

Sister M. Elizabeth

Sister M. Albina

Sister M. Antonia

Sister M. Columbia

Sister M. Benedicta Rodenmacher

Sister M. Algina Sluder

Sister M. Magdalen

Sister M. Cyrilla

Sister M. Louis

Sister M. Praxedes

Sister M. Imelda

Sister M. Marianne

Sister Margaret Mary

Sister M. Carmelita

Sister M. Ann

Sister M. Ludwina

Sister M. Lucy

Sister M. Berchman

Sister M. Celine

























Ira F. Dutton (Brother Joseph Dutton)

Mrs. W.H. Rice (“Mother”)



Brothers Of
The Sacred Hearts

Brother Sylvanus V. Volsen

Brother Severinus Baltes

Brother Serapion Van Hoof

Brother Aloysius Leisen (Brother Louis)

Brother Victor Schumpf

Brother Laurent Bergmans

Brother Roch Rech

Brother Severinus Sprenger

Brother Willibrord Slaats

Brother Sylvester Barbe

Brother Materne Laschet

Brother Liborius Hengst

Brother Wenceslas Van Vorst

Brother Gerard Majella Jeanson

Brother Jules Haagen

Brother Pascal Bruyn

Brother Bernard Viera


















Resident Physician

Dr. Nathaniel Emerson

Dr. Nielson

Dr. Arthur Mouritz

Dr. Charles Peterson

Dr. Sidney Swift

Dr. Richard Oliver

Dr. French

Dr. W. J. Goodhue

Dr. Walter Brinckerhoff

Dr. Harry Hollmann

Dr. Marshall

Dr. Patterson

Dr. Allen Potter

Dr. Robert L. McArthur

Dr. Vladimir Sezenevsky

Dr. George Tuttle

Dr. Luckie

Dr. Paul O. Wiig

Dr. Lawrence Wiig

Dr. David Liu

Dr. Henry Chun Akina

Dr. Ira Hirschy

Dr. Norman Sloan

Dr. Charles Judd, Jr.

Dr. Clifford Druecker

Dr. Grace Hedgcock

Dr. Joseph Tong Yat Kam

Dr. You Taik Kim

Dr. Sydney Kibby

Dr. James Warner

Dr. Sylvia Haven
































Visiting Physician
Dr. Edward Hoffman

Dr. Ferdinand Hutchison

Dr. George Trousseau

Dr. Frank Enders

Dr. George Fitch

Dr. Masanao Goto

Dr. Walter Hoffman

Dr. Harry Hollman

Dr. Forrest Pinkerton

Dr. Hermon Hasseltine

Dr. Ralph Cloward

Dr. Lyle Phillips

Dr. Edwin Chung-Hoon

Dr. Marie Keim Faus

Dr. William Gulledge

Dr. Thomas Bennett

















Luna nui
Rudolph W. Meyer

Ambrose K. Hutchison

T. E. Evans

W. H. Tell

Ambrose K. Hutchinson

C.W. Reynolds

John D. McVeigh

Robert L. Cooke

Lawrence M. Judd










A Few Brief Biographies

Father Gregory Archambaux was born on December 24, 1819, at Hingoulaincours, Haute Marne, France. He was ordained in France in 1847 and arrived in Hololulu in 1848. He had charge of parishes on Hawaii and Maui for many yeas, and acted as temporary priest at Kalawao before the arrival of Father Damien. He was declared a “leper” in 1887. He returned to Kalawao in September of 1887 with the intention of staying permanently to aid Father Damien and serve as assistant priest. Besides Hansen’s disease, he suffered severly from asthma and ataxia due to posterior spinal sclerosis, which sometimes brought him to his knees. During his last year at Kalawao his asthma became worse and his appetite and strength began to fail. Unable to perform any service, and increasingly more of a burden to Father Damien, he left Kalawao in December of 1887 and died in Kakaako hospital on November 12, 1888 of the Maculo-anaesthetic form of Hansen’s disease.

Father Andre Burgerman, a Dutchman, was sent to help Father Damien, but he ended up being more of a thorn in the side than help. Constant disagreements and complaints occurred between the two until finally Fr. Andre was believed to have caught the disease and was removed from the settlement for care.

Father Albert Montiton, a Frenchman, was assigned to help Fr. Damien. He believed that leprosy was transmitted by sexually immoral people and was the result of syphilis, and he also accused Fr. Damien of sexual immorality. Fr. Albert put Fr. Damien through a bad period by invading his territory, ordering him around and telling him how to be a priest. However, Fr. Albert was a sick man with elephantiasis and was later transferred out of Molokai for health reasons.

At a meeting of the Board of Health it was resolved that “the harmony and interests of the leper settlement would be promoted by the removal of Father Wendelin Moeller (the priest in charge of Kalaupapa since Father Damien’s death) and that the Right Reverend Gulstan, Bishop of Panopolis, be requested to remove him forthwith and appoint some other priest to fill the vacancy made thereby.” Msgr. Ropert subsequently informed the Board he would comply with their resolution when formal written charges against Father Wendelin had been served and proven. The Board refused to file charges, but informed the Msgr. Ropert that Father Wendelin’s permit to remain at the settlement would be revoked as of June 10, 1902. It was later disclosed that Superintendent Reynolds had filed complaints with the Board accusing Father Wendelin of interfering with his management; Father Wendelin admitted having preached, not against the Board of Health, but against the shameful immmorality of concubinage and adultery at the settlement, and the performance of public work to be done on Sunday without any urgent necessity. After considerable public outrage at the actions of the Board of Health by the Home Rule Party, the various Catholic societies, the Portuguese societies, and the Protestant Ministerial Union, the Board of Health resolved “out of respect for the Bishop and in appreciation of the charitable objects of the Catholic mission at the settlement, this request (by Msgr. Ropert to retain Father Wendelin in view of his long and faithful services at the Kalaupapa Settlement) be granted on the distinct understanding that Father Wendelin attend strictly to his clerical duties in the future…”. Father Wendelin, appreciative of Msgr. Ropert’s efforts opined that he could not “strictly adhere to his clerical duties” without preaching against immorality and the breaking of the Sabbath, and requested that Msgr. Ropert relieve him of his charge. On September 23, 1902, Msgr. Ropert granted Father Wendelin’s request and replaced him with Father Maximin André, head of the Hilo mission.

Father Louis Conrardy, a missionary priest, worked in the indian territory of the northwestern United Stated for 15 years. After corresponding with Father Damien for a number of years, he moved to Kalawao in 1888 to help the dying priest. Fr. Conrady began to write letters that ended up in newspapers. The letters revealed the harshness of Father Founcel and the gloom of the settlement. Because of these letters, many priests wanted to come to Molokai. Father Conrardy left Molokai 6 years after Damien’s death and traveled to China, where he later died. At his request he was buried “…between the graves of two lepers.”

On November 16, 1895, Father Pamphile deVeuster, the brother of the late Father Damien, accompanied Father Gulstan Robert, one choir brother, and four lay brothers to the Kalaupapa Settlement. According to arrangements made with the Board of Health, the brothers were given the care of the Bishop’s Home for Boys in Kalaupapa. Father Pamphile followed in his brother’s footsteps, but being an elderly, scholarly man at the time of his arrival, he could not get accustomed to the surroundings and returned to Belgium on August 25, 1897.

Father Peter d’ Orgeval-DubouchetThe following is an excerpt from Ernie Pyle’s Home Country.
“When I was there, the man who was wearing Father Damien’s mantle among the lepers was Father Peter d’ Orgeval-Dubouchet. He was a Frenchman who had been in Kalauapapa twelve years. You never saw a more lovable character. He was nearly seventy and had a steel-gray beard, and he weighed less than a hundred pounds. When he talked he talked all over; it took at least six square feet for Father Peter to talk in. He jumped, struck attitudes, and laughed loudly and frequently. He lived alone in a cottage behind the church. At night you could see him flitting about the dark streets of Kalaupapa, cane in one hand, flashlight in the other. He must have carried the cane from habit, for he didn’t need it any more than a flea would. He could climb the steep pali trail in sixty-five minutes, which is only five minutes slower than a horse does it. Ordinarily Father Peter didn’t smoke. But during my visits’ purely our of courtesy, I assume – he smoke cigarette for cigarette with me. And he puffed and waved his arms so furiously that he scattered ashes all over himself, and I became seriously alarmed about his beard. Father Peter entered the priesthood when he was twenty-five. In his youth he had wanted to be a musician. He started on the piano at eight, and later studied in the Conservatoire at Paris. “Ah, I love music,” he said. “I love it too much. I could not serve two masters. It had to be either God or music. I gave up music.” but he was still a fine pianist. You should have seen him at the old upright piano in the rectory – bent over, intent, fingers flying, hand crossing, and the piano shaking with the classical thundering it gave forth. Then Father peter would get up and say, “Ah, very poor. Fingers too stiff.” But his hands were tiny – the hands of a boy – and they showed no age whatever. They were sensitive, frail hands; his whole character couldd be read in his delicate fingers. Father Peter served as a chaplain throughout World War I. He said bullets went through his clothes but never touched him. He was gassed many times. After the war he had what he called his “nervous years”. He went into semiseclusion for two years. Then, well once more, he decided to apply for transfer to Kalaupapa. “What put it into your head to come to Kalauapapa?” I asked. “Ah!” Father Peter jumped, sat of the edge of his chair, gesticulated. “Ah,it came to me in one sec-ond! In one sec-ond it came to me, like that. Twice in life things have come to me in one sec-ond. First, to enter the priesthood. Sec-ond, to come to Kalaupapa. I do not know why. Just came, like that.” And then, as if anticipating my next question, he said, “And I never read a single book on Father Damien. I had heard of him, but never the details had I read.” Father Peter was fifty-three when he applied for Kalaupapa. He had never been out of France, and knew neither English nor Hawaiian. Before they would let him come he had to learn both languages and serve an appreticeship at the leper colony in Tahiti in the South Seas. He reached Kalaupapa in 1925. Within two years after his arrival he contracted leprosy. It was generally agreed that he had been indifferent to the usual precautions. Some even said he wanted to contract leprosy, to follow literally in the footsteps of Father Damien. There is some truth in this theory, though perhaps it should not be put so flatly. I asked Father Peter himself about it. He gave me the answer: “I could not serve until I had made the sacrafice of putting myself in a position to become a leper.” Those weren’t his exact words – there is not way of putting Father Peter’s machine-gunned crazy-quilt English down on paper. But what he said, in substance, was that he felt that in order to serve God amoung the lepers he must go through the leveling spiritual experience of attaining that same “other world” in which the lepers lived. His condition was noticed immediatelly by settlement physicians. It showed itself as a dark spot high on his forehead. He was operated on at once – the scar on his high forehead was still visible after ten years – and the spot was removed; it was definitely leprous. It is most unusual for the disease to be discovered so quickly; Father Peter said the doctors told him his case was one in a million. He was more careful afterward, and thre seemed little likelihood of his contracting leprosy again. Conditions had changed enormously since Father Damien’s day, and the priest now did no manual toil among the stricken people. His work was solely spiritual – he visited the patients in their homes, preached his sermons, conducted funerals. His days were busy. He preached in Hawaiian, and he said he thought the Hawaiians understood about half of what he said. He would write out his sermons in Hawaiian, then have a Hawaiian boy come in and correct them. One day the boy played a joke on him. Father Peter had wanted to use the phrase “fallen woman”, but the boy put in a word that meant something else. It wasn’t dirty, but it was very funny. When Father Peter came to it, the whole churchful of people howled. Father Peter frequently went over the pali to leeward Molokai, and at least once a year went to Honolulu for a week or more. “Father Peter,” I asked, “have you been happy here?” He wasn’t sure. He loved Kalaupapa – the scenery, the climate, the people – but those things didn’ matter. It was how well a man served his God. He tried, but he didn’t know how well satisfied God was, to put it mundanely. That’s the reason he couldn’t say he had been fully happy. “Let’s say I have not been unhappy,” he said. I loved Father Peter, as did everyone else in Kalaupapa. He would undoubtedly spend the rest of this days there. And spend them, I was sure, “not unhappily.”

The Venerable Mother Superior Marianne was born Barbara Kopp on January 23, 1836 in western Germany near the town of Darmstadt. Her parents emigrated to the USA when she was 18 months old, and settled in Utica, New York. In 1863 she joined the sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis of Syracuse, New York. Later, as Superior of the Franciscan convent in Syracuse, Mother Marianne answered King David Kalakaua’s request for assistance for children with leprosy, described as a “national affliction” in Hawaii. She arrived at Kalaupapa on the S.S. Lehua, on November 14, 1888 with Sister M. Leopoldina and Sister M. Vincent and worked alongside Father Damien during the last five months of his life. After Father Damien’s death, she and Brother Dutton took over the running of the Baldwin Home for boys. In addition to establishing the Bishop Home for women, she started what is now the Maui Memorial Hospital, the first on the island. She died on August 9, 1918 at the Bishop Home, where she had devoted 29 years caring for the women and girls of the home. She had also spent 5 years previously at the Kakaako Hospital from November 8, 1883 to November 13, 1888. She was 82 years old when she died of kidney and heart disease (Tubular Nephritis and Mitral Valvular disease). Mother Marianne was beatified by the Catholic Church in 2005, the second of three steps required for sainthood.

Sister M. Benedicta arrived at Honolulu from Syracuse in April of 1885. She served at the Malulani Hospital until 1888, and at the Kapiolani Home which was moved to Kalihi in 1889. In 1916 she was sent to relieve the ailing Mother Marianne, and upon her death became the Superior, a position she held until 1929. She then returned to take up service at the Kapiolani Convent in Manoa, and died on July 26, 1942 at the age of 87.

Born Caroline Agatha Engel on April 8, 1867 in Syracuse, New York, Mother M. Flaviana arrived at Hawaii on February 17, 1899. She taught in the convent schools at Wailuku, Maui and Hilo, Hawaii until 1918, when she went to the Kapiolani Home and served as Superior for 9 years. In 1927 she was Supervisor, and actively participated in, the building of the St. Francis Hospital. She was sent to the Bishop home to relieve Sister Benedicta and was Mother Superior until 1935, when she returned to the Kapiolani Home until its closure on October 1, 1938. She died in St. Francis Hospital in 1939.

A native of Quebec, Canada, Physician William James Arthur Goodhue was a graduate of the Rush Medical College, USA, and was licensed to practice medicine in Hawaii in October of 1900. In September of 1902 he was the only applicant for the vacant position of resident physician at Kalaupapa and was appointed to that position. He held the office for 23 years until June 37th, 1925. His long years in office and his devoted care of his patients endeared him to them. He left Hawaii in August, 1935 for China, where he died in Shanghai on March 16, 1941, of Hansen’s disease (Leprosy). He was 74 years old.